What causes confusional arousal?
Potential causes for this the confusional arousal disorders are shown below:
- Alcohol consumption
- Sleep deprivation
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
- Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD)
- Psychotropic medication use
- Drug abuse
- Forceful awakening
Do I have it?
- Did anyone ever told you that you acted in strange or confused way when they wake you up?
- Did they describe your behaviour been unfriendly or aggressive?
- Were your actions unsuitable in any way?
- Did this a kind of behaviour happen on regularly?
If your answer yes to each of those questions, then you might have confusional arousals. However, you may have no memory of those events and will be hard for you to know the answer by yourself.
Other causes of Confusional Arousals
You also should know whether or not there is something that causing your arousal sleep disorders. It could quite well a result of one of the following events:
- Medication use
- A health condition
- Another sleep problems
- A mental health disorder
- Substance abuse or addiction
Should I see a sleep doctor?
- Of course you should. This type of sleep disorder that can create harsh health and personal problems.
- Ask for a professional help to treat it.
What sleep doctor needs to know?
You should complete a sleep diary for two weeks.
- The sleep diary will provide ideas of underling problems.
- You can also rate your sleep with the Questionnaire, which demonstrate how your daily life is affected by your sleep.
- You should also provide your complete medical history to the doctor.
- Remember to inform your sleep professional of any medication you are currently taking or used to take in the past.
Will I need to take any tests?
You may need to do an overnight sleep study. It is called a polysomnography.
- Charts of your brain waves, your heart beat as well as your breathing rhythm will be created with the help of polysomnogram while you are asleep.
- Polysomnography equipment is also recording your arms and legs movements.
- By analyzing polysomnograms it will be possible to capture symptoms of other disorders, which are causing your sleep problems, such as sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome..
- It will be possible to make a video recording of your sleep. It may show your additional problematic behavior.
How confusional arousal is treated?
You need to be aware that other sleep disorders, if any, which may be the source of the weird behavior must be treated first.
- Obviously, if you cut back on alcohol or tobacco completely, it also might help a bit.
- Remember, the most important part of your treatment is to get a full night of sleep.
- Medical study indicates that prescribed medication is also helpful, however. as you well aware, 50% of successful treatment is done through power of suggestion and psychological treatment, other than medication.
- Sleeping pills and antidepressants the most popular medication that have been successfully used in treating arousal sleep disorder..
- The best things to do is to get and advice from your doctor about this or any other form of treatment.